Wednesday, September 23, 2020

So many fun things, and its feeling like fall!

Well, the last two weeks have flown by! We are having a ton of fun on the weekends, and I'm struggling to find balance on all the days in between.  Our house is still not quite put together, but I'm happy to report that almost all of the kitchen clutter is taken care of!  It has finally started cooling off nicely here, and dropping just below 70 in the evenings.  It is glorious!  But, also feels a little sad - like I have to say goodbye to beach adventures for a while. 

 The elementary school finally opened up the playgrounds to the students yesterday, and Milo was thrilled about that!  They were ready to move on from recess on a grass field.  We are all feeling so blessed to be here, where life feels mostly normal!  School is in person every day, parks are open, people smile and talk to each other, and we get to attend church in person.  It is so nice!  I wish I could have all my people come visit, but that is where covid hits us hard.  😞 We do wear masks inside of every building, but if that is the price we have to pay to be able to live mostly normal lives, then I'll do it.  We have zero cases of the rona on base.  Hand washing for dayzzz!

I have a little catching up to do.  Blake and I went on a date to a little hole in the wall restaurant that is known for their dish called Okonomiyaki (Hiroshima style).  I am happy to report that I have found an authentic Japanese dish that I think is freakin delicious. Though, to be honest, I haven't tried a whole lot of food out in town yet.  Japan isn't like Thailand where I loved pretty much everything I ate.  Thailand....😋 the best food!  Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki has a bunch of cabbage, bean sprouts, pork belly and noodles cooked between a thin sort of pancake.  Its topped with a fried egg and then a savory sauce.  So good!  We also had the Yakisoba which is a Japanese noodle stir fry.  It was similar to the Okonomiyaki, but had a richer flavor and no pancake.  We'll be going back there again.



Making Okonomiyaki





I found a roach in my kitchen.  I am really good a setting up these roach motels.  They now decorate nearly every corner of the first floor in our house.


Last weekend, we did a short little hike called 3 falls.  It was about 45 minutes away.  It was seriously gorgeous, the drive and the hike!  There was a group of expats hogging all the space at the best swimming spot, so we hiked down a bit further and found our own little swimming hole.  Even though it wasn't hot out, we didn't hesitate to get in the water.  It was so beautiful! How could we not? The baby fish would swarm our legs and feet.  We received many, many "fish kisses", and the boys thought that was pretty cool.  We packed a lunch in our new super awesome backpack cooler from Costco.  After a couple hours in the water, we sat for lunch.  We didn't want to leave, but the area was completely shaded and the boys were shivering.  We got back to the car and enjoyed the scenery on our drive back home. (video below)

                                                                                                        












Hoggin all the beach space. 😤
Listening without the sound would be best. 😁



Sunday, we had the opportunity to go to to Nijigahama Beach to see Bubble Ojisan.  It was such a uniquely awesome experience!  We were in bubble heaven! Toby was screaming with laughter - so much happiness!  ❤  And we had another beautiful drive to get there. The pics at the beach all posted in reverse order, and I'm out of time.  Ha. Start at the bottom.           























One last thing!  Blake painted the dining room walls, and hung my most favorite picture. ❤


No comments:

Post a Comment